Saturday, February 21, 2009

Opium is cheaper than bottled water in Afghan?!

Is it because Opium is easily accessible?

Is it because taking opium has been cultivated among the family?

The situation seems to have taken a toll on young children, who are now addicts to opium. With the youngest being only 2 years old!

Before I came across the video, I never knew the existence of opium in Afghan or its usage amongst the citizens. Never did I thought that mothers would use opium on their children just so they could do their chores. Some of them do regret their actions (as mentioned in the video when they came to know of addiction to opium. Its funny how they were not aware of the addiction earlier; being users themselves.)

One of the things I heard about opium and Afghanistan is that in certain areas the profit from all that opium sales are used to fund terrorist groups. (Well the funding bit I don't know how true the information is)

1 comment:

  1. Its really sad, this state of affairs. I guess, it was prevalant in India as well coz. I know our earlier house maid used to always smell of this stuff and she told us that it helps her kids sleep peacefully...

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your thoughts. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...