Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Jazzy Diwali

Shanghai Music Festival is on for two consecutive days, beginning today. I attended the festival thinking it was a Jazz only event. Turns out, they had more than Jazz. There was also Rock, Funk, Fusion, Reggae, DJ and some other stuff. I stayed to watch the Jazz performances and some of the Rock performances. There were a couple of Chinese performers as well. I didn't catch much. And of the little bit that I saw, I figured some of the Chinese performers have weird, unexplained hand movements. Majority feels its not unusual; instead they imitate the performer. Puzzles me but well I am in China :)

Anyways, back to the Jazz performances. Let me list out my favourites outta the many that performed tonight. Sinne Egg. Refrain from asking me what that means. It is the name of  a Denmark based Jazz band. They consist of a female lead vocalist, a super fast piano player (most of the time he was playing in staccato), a great drummer and the bass player was playing a quantra bass (its slightly bigger than a cello it seems). The vocalisst sang a few cheerful numbers and ended with an emo song. Very nice. If I had a video cam I would have recorded it for you guys.

The next one was also based in Denmark. They are known as Ibrahim Electric. They are pretty famous back at home for playing numerous genres. They were real awesome. There is no vocalist in this team. The lead guitarist (I'm so in love with this fella now) has magical fingers. I'm serious. He did an awesome job with the guitar. There was this other guy who was playing the organ; he was equally good and a drummer. The guitarist and the Organ player seemed a little hippie-like whereas the drummer appeared like a student. Nevertheless, they were all GREAT!

And the last one and the most entertaining one was the band from Copenhagen, South Africa. They are called FreshlyGround. THEY WERE SIMPLY MIND-BLOWING!!! The lead vocalist was a great entertainer. She had a captivating voice which sang both in English and some other African language. Her band not only stopped at singing they had dance moves together with their songs. Very Lively. The group was pretty big with this particular fella who played the flute, saxophone, and some other smaller instruments whose names fail me. His flute pieces were mesmerising. The whole piece would sound out of the world when accompanied by guitars and electric violin.

These guys are on my lists of favorite artistes now. I'm trying to search for their songs online. If I find them and if Blogger permits I shall upload them for your listening.

Hence, my Diwali was rocking ;)


3 comments:

  1. Great to know that you are having a rocking diwali.. All the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U seemed to have really enjoyed a lot...a video of that festival would be really great!!
    Its always fun to be in all these festivals and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swatantra: Thank you. You probably had an awesome one with your Sid as well :D

    Naz: Yeaps! The quality of the video wouldn't have been good.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your thoughts. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...