Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Truly a Global Citizen

Over the course of a year in Shanghai, not once have I had anyone ask me if I am from Singapore. Maybe wanting to be known as a Singaporean just by looking at me is kinda too much to ask for :s Well at least these Chinese should be able to identify me as an Indian. But NO! Besides Singapore and India I have been indirectly adorned with multiple nationalities.

I have been assumed to be a Pakistani (God knows why, I'm not even fair to start with!), a Thai, a Malay and recently after the trekking trip some of them are asking me if I am an African American! -_-

And today some random guy on the street vehemently objected that I could be an Indian. Firstly, he was not aware of the Indians in Singapore and secondly he was going on and on how Indians are tall and not as dark hence that eliminates me of being an Indian. 165 cm is not tall for him and brown skin is black for him!

Conclusion: IIFA Awards in Macau and Bollywood movies circulating in China has presented a different image of Indians.

3 comments:

  1. lol...it good as it must b easy for u to get into groups of different nationalities without much difficulty!!!!

    With globalization...word has really become small...and people of different nationalities are now sharing the space together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Naz: Haha..True enough...

    @ Siras: Oh you don't know woman; the whole time we were buying juice he was giving reasons and reiterating his conclusion. sighs.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your thoughts. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...