Sunday, June 23, 2013

crossroads.

Its quarter to midnight on a deserted junction where two people are trying to figure out their next move into getting home.

The lamposts have dim lights, the vehicles are far and few.

There comes along a young man, looking all disheveled and lost. Unkept hair, tucked out shirt with mud stains.

Shows us a tiny piece of paper with a line printed on it.

"How do I get to this place?"

One of us, keyed in his address onto google maps and realized it was a long way down the stretch of road.

"How do you intend get to this place? Its rather far. And the buses and metros have already terminated their services."

"I was robbed some couple of hours ago. I have been walking for a long while. I went to the police station to report the crime and they told me, they will not be able to help me because I was from a different province; not a local. I was given the address to seek shelter for the night".

"Oh.."

"I am tired from all that walking. I approached several people for help and everyone thinks I'm ought to get them. I don't want your money, I just want directions. I just lost my hard earned savings."

"hmm..Well you will have to just walk straight all the way, maybe in an hour. You will reach your destination."

He left thanking us.

He must've walked perhaps 200 meters and was seen flagging down a police car. He approached them to relate this situation and was shown to continue walking in the same direction as we had informed him.

"Maybe he really needs help."

"Yeah..He does look rather desperate".

We were still waiting for our cab.

He had walked further down the stretch and this time had flagged down a bunch of traffic police men. They also didn't do much to change the situation but rather gave him similar directions and drove off.

We finally got a cab.

"Where will you be heading?"

"Ermm...Just drive straight. Will let you know."

Along the way, we saw "our friend" still walking down.

"Hey mister, come. We'll give you a ride".

"Huh! Oh!! I'm so thankful".

"So we will be heading to this address..." one of us read from the slip of paper.

The cab driver was visibly shocked. But had managed to piece the story before the night ended.

"It's really nice of you to help me. I am extremely grateful. I wish I could give you something in return but I haven't got anything on me. My hard earned savings of 4000 bucks was robbed. I was suppose to send it to my parents back home. I don't know what I'm going to tell my mother. I had to convince my mother into letting me to come to the city to work and now I have been robbed and left with nothing."

"Its okay. You will be fine. I'm sure this office you're heading to will help you sort your matters".

"Yes. Yes. I hope. Thank You again. You say you guys are students I can only wish you well in your studies and thank you very much for helping."

His destination had arrived and our job was done.

The night was long but it left us with a sense of hey-we-did-something-good.

I understand we ought to be cautious, but when does one draw the line between helping and walking away?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...