Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Alexander SuperTramp

I am all for impromptu acts. Going on an unplanned road trip. Taking a deliberate wrong turn just for the fun of it. Sometimes, it is just not worth it. But, I would still go for it. Risking the self is the fun part. Like going on cheap thrill rides in theme parks, the adrenaline rush is awesome!

I went for white water rafting in the rapids here in China, and fell of the tubing I was on. Besides being pushed forward by the rapids which was not that fun when you get hurt by the rocks. The downside to this is I cannot swim. Yes, I was wearing a lifejacket which was pretty much useless. LOL...But I was lucky, the lifeguard was nearby so I was brought back to safety. :D He gave me the what-the-hell-were-you-doing? look. That was cos I did not read the safety measures which said I ought to let go of the tube handle if I were to fall off it. And of course me being me, I flashed my innocent smile and requested to go to the next stop-over( to continue the ride of course :D)with the lifeguard, which involved climbing up the hill from the river, crossing a bridge, a truck ride and finally to the stop over. I got into the tubing and continued my ride till the end. One should really try white water rafting cos its REAL COOL!!! The waves are mind blowing and when the rocks at the side push the tubing forward; one is in for a bumpy ride. The BESTEST of the entire rapids is the fall of the tubing from various heights. There were three of the 7m, 13m and another I forgot. Its mini sky diving off a tube. Pure Awesomeness!

Oops, I got carried away :s Anyways,

I just caught the 2007 film 'Into the Wild'. Directed by Sean Penn starring Emile Hirsch. Alexander SuperTramp (the character) walked out on everything just to explore the world. Who does that? He was a 23 year old who could have got himself a place in Harvard Law School but instead chose to go on a trip away from the world he was brought up in.

According to him, "Job is a 20th century invention. I am not a destitute. I have a college education and I chose the present way of life I lead".

The movie was so good till the part he had to die cos he ate an inedible wild plant by mistake. The movie was based on the real life character, Christopher Mccandless aka Alexander SuperTramp. He was 22 when he left home after donating his savings to a charity home, destroying all his identification and only taking with him a couple of books and some basic necessities. Throughout his journey he took up odd jobs, stayed with hippies, puts up a shelter at a desert, kayaks in the rapids eventually making his way to Mexico from the United states, illegally of course. He was so in love with nature and his ultimate aim was the mighty Alaskan Adventure. He took the odd jobs at Mcdonalds, at a grain factory all in the hope to save up to get to Alaska. He was industrious, always driven and put himself up for the severe of challenges.

Christopher Mccandless was "an aesthetic voyager whose home is on the roads". The line was lifted from the movie which I believe got it from Christopher's diary that was recovered when Moose hunters discovered his body in the Alaskan Wilderness. Christopher died in the Alaskan Wilderness in August 1992 at the age of 24.

It's inspiring. It reflects his stupidity at some point for refusing to take a compass or equipment that might aide him in Alaska. He did not even have a map with him. He walked out on his parents as well. He was wise. He was dumb. He was over confident. He was grounded.

Overlooking all of the mistakes he made, I still think Christopher is great. He was on the roads for 2 years! I have yet to get over the story of Alexander SuperTramp. Its just tooo good.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! That sounds like an awesome movie, I should give it a watch. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh u should read the instruction well before trying all these..lol!! U must have enjoyed it :)!!

    Will try to watch that movie...i like this line Job is a 20yh century invention... n true ..lolz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siras: It is a great movie. You should watch. I'm planning to watch it for the 2nd time...lol

    Naz: I reall enjoyed it! You should catch it man..they had some other great qoutes as well....

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a truly inspiring story, read Edges of the Earth by Rick Leo. He too battled the Alaska wilderness with few resources, raised a son and still lives to talk about it. We were good friends in college and he did it for all the right motivations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew: Thanks for the recommendation. Will check it out :)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your thoughts. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...