Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Right Words, The Right Time

My aunt was recently diagnosed with cancer and has been given 6 months to live. I have been avoiding a direct conversation with her. Partly, cos I was sure she will break down and I will fail miserably in trying to get her to stop tearing and make her feel better.

So I started writing her a card. I got the first sentence written and damn I was stumped. She needed hope and I suck at writing. I gave up. Placed the card aside and was surfing the internet once again, a little lost yet thinking what exactly am I to put down in that card. I was sure I wanted the card to inspire her, help her pull herself together, to believe that she can recover. By the way I have this strong feeling that she will prove her Doctor wrong and will recover fully. Miracles occur don't they? Doctor's don't have a cure for Cancer hence they assign time limits to a person's life.

While net surfing, I was reading Muchacho's latest post on When does one become a hero? His friend is severely ill and was said to have only a few months left to live by his Doctor. Now, that was said 2 years ago. Our Hero actually lived over 6 months and is now into 2 years and running. Due to his illness he cannot physically exhaust himself so he doesn't hold a job. BUT Hero is instead putting himself through lotsa pain and drug experimentation for the benefit of others who might be similarly diagnosed in the future. Besides that he also serves as a guitar teacher for kids. He is not worried about the oncoming death but is living his life to the fullest. Hero is making sure that least the remaining time he has will not go to waste.

Aint Hero truly a HERO?? :D

I guess now I know what to write :)

7 comments:

  1. Its really sad to know that...but ya miracles do happen n had happen. I understand what your family must b going through...but these are also a part of life..hope things turn out to b good...inshaallah!!

    tc n my prayers are always with your aunt!!
    God bless her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Naz: Thanks man :) Things are fine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of prayers for your aunt. May God pull her through.

    It's always amazing how we human beings can be put through a lot and still make it. Faith is all we need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Usha... I'm really happy to know that Denis has helped yet another person. I'll keep your aunt in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Siras: Very True Indeed.

    @Muchacho: Thanks man! My sincere Regards to Denis :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cancer is decimating our families and friends now. It's a terrible thing when dealing with cancer becomes a habit rather than making you feel stumped, such a horrible illness should never be that common.

    I can say a two things that I've noted over the years.
    1) Those who stay positive and find things to laugh about and enjoy live longer and have better quality of their lives even though they are ill.
    2) High consumption of sugar makes the illness worse. Those who have diabetes and keep it in control manages much better than others. This happened to my mother-in-law who lived 7 month more than expected. My cousin that has lived 16 years more than expected. (Yeah, 16!) And my grand uncle who has lived for 2 extra years and is still going strong. I don't think it's a documented fact but it's something we see time and time again.

    Most important of all is to be allowed to mourn so that you can pick yourself up and find the good things in life to focus on. Don't worry about the tears they will pass and dry, focus on the good things instead.

    I wish you and your aunt the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Kadri: Thanx a Million! That was an awesome piece of advice and information. It made alot of difference. WOW..16 years more than expected..Thats truly amazing...Thank you again :)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your thoughts. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...