Saturday, March 20, 2010

MARCH 20 - Happy Birthday Usha!


Congratulations to me, Usha, for surviving 22 years of my life and stepping into the 23rd.

My amazing friends treated me to lunch at this vegetarian restaurant. I believe they put in alot of effort into that one. It's pretty difficult to find  vegetarian restaurants in China. They formed an ensemble cast of singing the birthday song in 4 different languages, namely English, Chinese, Malay, Korean, Japanese and later I even got myself a cake. The cake was the inspiration to this post. Despite having past over 20 birthdays I have had less than ten birthday cakes in my life because I was not so crazy about having to cut a cake for every birthday. Anyways, here comes the list of 6 major cake events in the 20+ years of my existence.

First Birthday - An Indian pastry called Kesari with a massive candle in it. There was a picture of me all excited over the 'cake' and even more so cos the electricity was down.

3 years old - Me and my cake posed for a shot at the photo studio. I don't remember much of this either. There was a photo and mom said I wanted a cake so she bought a cake and dressed me up for the shot. And we pretty much ate the cake I guess.

5 years old - This was a really huge cake shaped as the number 5 with Ninja turtlesdesigns on them. :D I was a fan of the cartoon show. Still am actually. This was a huge event. I had lotsa people in the house and I barely knew many.

16 years old - This was a rectangular yellow cake. I don't remember the flavour anymore. I celebrated it an at old folks home. It was really fun. The oldies enjoyed and I enjoyed much much more hanging out with them. The nun who headed this missonary was this really nice black lady. My camera broke on that day and besides memories I have no photos of this day. :(

22 years old (2009) - My room mate got me a last minute cupcake cos she almost forgot my birthday. She was really sweet. A pink rose and a heart shaped candy came with it.

And today (2010) - My classmates got me an unconventional cake. They put together 12 pieces of individually cut, triangular shaped cakes to form a larger circular cake. So yea, this time I didn't quite cut the cake. There were candles though :D The two types of cakes that formed the larger circular cake was Parmesan Cheesecake and Chocolate cakes. It was awesome.

Before I close this post, Happy Birthday to Willy who was born on the same day, same year as me. Just different timings. I always ask people for their brithdays for two reasons. 1. Is to wish them when the day comes and 2. hoping they would have the same birth date as me :)

So if you share your birthday with me (March 20); Happy Birthday to you too my friend. May all your wishes be fulfilled or at least the one you made when you blew your candles. ;)


3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY USHA!! :D Glad it kickstart well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! Have a wonderful wonderful day!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! =) (Though I'm late.)

    Birthdays and birthday cakes has a huge importance in the lives of my grandmother and mother. I've often found myself celebrated twice because they were so eager to celebrate. They also celebrate my children, first by mail and phone and then twice again when we come to visit. We live too far away fro them to come here on the actual birthdays so they wait for us to come and visit them, and then they party.

    I, on the other hand, don't like cake and I'm not particularly interested in parties. Now I fear what will happen next year when I turn 40. I suspect that nothing will be able to stop them from planning a party (or two) and I feel like running away from it all, if possible.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your thoughts. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...