Friday, June 4, 2010

Casablanca (1942)

Well known to many for being the famous, must-see romance film of all time. 


There I was all set to emo over the film. I was hoping for melodrama, slow paced scenes and the death of either the male or female lead. I ain't no sadist, but come on unless it has a tragic ending, it sometimes doesn't feel romantic enough. Refrain from asking why. 

"What in heavens name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came tp Casablanca for the waters".
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

What I saw floored me. Now, I am a fan of both the film and Humphrey Bogart. The lines were witty, crisp, even the comedy; though moderate was greatly enjoyable. Bogart was calm and sometimes appeared way nochalent for the circumstance. But guess what, he stood out for that nonchalence alone. He was amazing. So was Ingrid and the guy who played her husband, Paul Henreid. S.K. Sakall (Carl), Leonid Kinskey(Sascha), and Dooley Wilson (Sam) who played supporting roles adequately provided for the required humor. Loved them all.

"Sweetnessheart-What watch"
"Ten Watch"
"Such Much"
"You will get along beautiful in America. hmm."

I was anticipating a sad ending with Humphrey Bogart hailed as the martyr for his deeds and Ingrid Bergman leaving him with massive regrets. What actually happened was sweet, perhaps a little sad. But not overwhelming enough to grab a box of tissues. 

"I know a good deal more about you than you suspect. I know, for instance, that you are in love with a woman. It is perhaps a strange circumstance that we are in love with the same woman. The first evening I came to this cafe, I knew there was something between you and Ilsa. Since no one is to blame; I demand no explanation. I ask only one thing. You won't give me the letters of transit, all right. But I want my wife to be safe. I ask you as a favor, to use the letters and take her away from Casablanca".
"You love her that much?"
"Apparently you only think of me as a leader of a cause. Well, I'm also a human being. Yes, I love her that much."

But I still have to agree it was one amazing movie and if you haven't seen it yet, You should! It heads my 'Favorite Movies' List now and that itself should imply how much I enjoyed watching the film. The next of the classic black and white movies I hope to catch in the coming weeks are Citizen Kane and Waterloo Bridge. :-D

You must remember this
A kiss is still a kiss
A sigh is still just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by

And when two lovers woo
The still say "I love You"
On that you can rely
No matter what the future brings
As time goes by

Moonlight and love songs
Never out of date
Hearts full of passion
Jealousy and hate
Woman needs man
And man must have his mate
That one no one can deny

Its still the same old story
A fight for love and glory
A case of do or die
The world will always welcome lovers
As time goes by

- As Time Goes By - Dooley Wilson - Casablanca (1942)

3 comments:

  1. your blog setting is awesome. i loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah - this sounds so good. I have heard so much about this movie but never got a chance to watch it. I need to do that soon :-)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your thoughts. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...