Monday, June 13, 2011

An Inconvenient Truth

While walking the Streets of New Delhi, in search of this particular cafe which owns itself to this qoute:
"Alot can happen over coffee". 
As much as we remembered the slogan, the name of the coffee house was not so much embedded in our memory. Least not mine.

The thing about walking on the streets of India, if you are not brown, you invite alot of attention. Some are curious and just eager to be your friends. Others are just trying their best to appear cool.

I was not walking alone but with two other friends who were Australian females and one of them was actually 6ft!

As this guy in shades and bright orange shirt passed between me and the tall girl, he really had to say
"What's up Babe!".
Now all there was to break that otherwise purely casual remark was the heavy Indian accent that came with it. He could have gone with a regular hi, but the whole swagger was just...You do the math.


When we finally managed to get into a rickshaw

And Just when you think, guess that was all the attention there was, comes another curly haired dude enquring if the tall girl was German cos she was just so tall.
"Vhere are you from? German?". 
And since we kinda lost and need directions, and this guy was already making conversations, the supposed "German" decided to seek his help.

Was that a bad move? Not exactly. But he never stopped talking and never left us till the very end!
"Oh Oh! You can't go there today, it is closed for protests march. There is a tourist help point ahead, you can seek them for a map. Do you like our country? I vill help you then vill you only know that aver country and its people are nice. Vill you then go back and say nice things about India."
And she was nodding head and walking really quickly I was finding it hard to keep up. The more she tried to veer away from him and his conversation he would start repeating,
"Hello! I am not expecting anything. I just want to help so you get good feeling about India".
He honestly was trying to help. Just a little too enthusiastic.
Some political protests and vehicles were blocked. 
The conversation, to me, as a spectator was entertaining and amusing. For the many times I visited India, I never realized how foreigners were being approached. I look Indian so hardly anyone ever walked up to me and started making random conversations.

The fact that I appeared Indian was further reiterated, albeit in a not so flattering manner, when the guy finally decided to leave before turning to say to me
"You're Indian na? Vhy I am saying this is, you look like me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts. (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...